Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Aesop Rock Gem You May Not Have Heard

I've always been a big fan of this dude's music; so I was pleasantly surprised to stumble upon this undiscovered (for me) gem. Aesop owns this remix he produced for Grimace Foundation. The fact that he's cruising around SF with Cage in the back of Jeremy Fish's dope orange and black 70's van, only makes the experience that much more delightful. I know this guy is considered "indie" but his flow is right up there with anybody's. The fact that he is so slept on has always bothered me and I think he gets unfairly dismissed as a type of novelty simply because he's deep and people don't want to have to pay attention anymore. It's like people want to be spoon fed their art these days; in small easy to swallow doses. The minute a work of art crosses over this invisible line and becomes tinged with the slightest bit of conceptual content, it gets placed in the "difficult" category. The real problem traditional hip hop heads have with Aesop is the density of his lyrics. I guess the metaphors and coded language he employs in his poetry can be a little too much for the typical hip hop fan that is used to the more straight ahead, no room for interpretation, lyrical delivery; but they've got enough crap to listen to.
Anyway, turn this one up and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment